People buy on emotion and justify it with logic. This article shows how to give a personality to your website and thereby increase sales.|
There are primary reasons that people will buy any product. Anyone that has ever been involved in sales of any kind (or has ever bought anything) knows that people respond to a couple of basic things. Probably the best thought I've ever heard on this subject is "people buy on emotion and justify it with logic".
There are not many products which invoke zero emotional response in people. So why is it that in the online world webmasters rely so little on this very key element of humanity? If you want to boost your sales/subscribers/leads etc, all you need to learn to do is make your page have personality.
Let me tell you a story.....
In my youth I had the very distinct pleasure of being involved in one of the most educational experiences in my life. I took a job that involved direct promotional sales. In other words...... I went door to door. I know what most of you are thinking...... "No WAY would I ever do anything like that!". I thought the same thing but, because I really had nothing better to do, I gave it a try. If you're wondering what the point of this little story is...... I'll tell you.
I learned more about human psychology during this experience than I ever could have learned with even 100 Zig Ziggler seminars! Think about it..... you're approaching someone who doesn't know you.....at their home...... presenting a product they've never heard of, and walking away with a sale! The whole concept is absolutely amazing if you really think about it.
Why would anyone buy something they've never heard of from someone they don't know? Because the salesperson had personality! That's why.
Doesn't this sound a bit like what you're trying to accomplish with your online business? The chances are probably pretty good that a visitor has never heard of you, doesn't know your product or service and , if they're anything like my family, is a bit skeptical of just about everything. Your goal is the same as mine in the door to door days..... to make a sale!
So how do we do it? How do we turn the internet from a cold, impersonal environment to one which makes your site as unique as you?
Here are a few tips....
1. Use different colors to stir different emotions. For instance blues and greens are soothing..... red and orange make people excited and focus attention. Experiment with colors to make people feel differently depending on the page's purpose.
2. Bolding, highlighting and CAPITAL LETTERS are ways of drawing attention to certain parts of your page. They are the webmaster's equivalent of raising your voice or pointing at something important.
3. Exclamation points should be used sparingly. Too much excitement looks like you are trying too hard to sell something!!!!! Remember "everyone like to buy but no one likes to be sold"
4. The more information you give on your page the more likely people are to trust you. People like to make up their own minds...... you can help them by providing enough information about your product or service to make them feel like you're not hiding anything from them.
5. Don't be afraid to use "slang" and "personal phrases" to an extent. This will make you look like a real person..... you don't want to be "hiding behind your web page"
6. Use your name. (a picture of yourself helps as well) Would you trust someone who never told you their name? Believe me, it's no coincidence that all customer service people either wear nametags or tell you their name. Customers want to know who they're dealing with...... tell them.
Now onto some examples....... See if you can tell what the following pages are trying to accomplish with the "personality" they chose.....
http://www.yahoo.com Mostly blue..... comforting, informational. YAHOO! logo in red, capitals, and exclamation point! .... so you remember the name
http://www.toyota.com Look at the red! yeah, ok..... there's some information up top too...... but look at that great car in the center!
http://www.microsoft.com Lots of information telling me "We're ok.... you can trust us"
http://www.marketingtips.com Corey Rudl's page (one of the best internet marketers out there..... he knows his stuff) Notice the home page is calming, soothing, blues and information..... Click on the "Insiders Secrets" link...... Wow! Red, yellow, bold, highlighting, CAPS ...... get excited! And there's Corey, making you feel secure by knowing who you're dealing with. (There's a reason he's one of the best folks)
Ok, you get the idea..... The point is that it DOES make a difference. These examples are some of the best in the business and I can guarantee if they're using these techniques it's not just by random chance. Try some of this for yourself. What is your page telling people before they even read the words? Chances are pretty good that it's not doing everything it could!
Here's a test..... go to http://www.workathome-101.net and try to describe me. E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell me everything you can figure out about the author (me) from my page.
About the Author
Keith Bryan has over 9 years experience in both Internet and other forms of advertising and marketing. For more information, tips, tricks, hot products and articles check out http://www.workathome-101.net
Note: Keith Bryan
if you like this on google plus.